Dongan Patent is the youngest Lodge in the Suffolk Masonic District and has the distinct honor of being the third chartered in Brookhaven Town in 155 years. As the population of Brookhaven Town spread to the center region of the island, it became evident to the founding fathers of Dongan Patent, that the time had come to establish a Lodge closer to the central reaches of the town. The year of 1951 marked its birth. They met in the Veterans of Foreign Wars Hall, Medford for many years before moving to South Side Lodge in Patchogue. A fire in South Side caused the brothers to find a new home. They then met in St. Marks in Medford after which they moved to Suffolk 60 Lodge in Port Jefferson, later relocating to Smithtown Lodge in the early 2000’s, where they meet to this day.
Dongan Patent Lodge was named after Thomas Dongan, the first Governor of New York colony, in commemoration of his recognition of the land-rights of English settlers and his refusal to import European feudalism. This, it was felt, was consistent with true Masonic spirit and preserved Dongan Patent’s image as the lodge of the “common man”.