Smithtown Lodge # 1127 began as the Smithtown Square Club in 1939. It met at the Smithtown Diner near the theater and soon changed its meeting place to Veterans’ Hall in St. James. After many years of denial, Suffolk Lodge #60 gave its assent to the formation of a lodge in Smithtown with the grudging comment, “It won’t be the last time we hear about them!” As all parents are concerned when their children leave the nest, Suffolk Lodge is proud of how well Smithtown Lodge developed throughout the years.
Smithtown Lodge #1127 was chartered on 4 May 1949. The brethren purchased land next to the Presbyterian Church, built the first story and began holding meetings there in 1953. The second story was completed in 1957 and the lodge has continued its operation there since that time.