The Calendar is changing…
The suffolkmasons.com calendar of events is changing for the better. It may not be evident to all who check our district calendar on the website but there were actually 2 calendars there. One visible and one invisible. The admins of the District site had to maintain both. Plus we also added the BAND mobile app to our repertoire and that added another separate calendar to the mix.
So since there are only two of us maintaining this site and calendar it was just common sense to consolidate them as best as possible. To that end we have removed the font end calendar and and made the back end calendar visible to all. In the same stroke we also connected the BAND mobile app calendar to this suffolkmasons.com event calendar.
So why does this matter to you? Well for those that have added themselves to the BAND mobile app, you can add events to the calendar there and they will be automagically added to the suffolkmasons.com web calendar. So if you want the district to know about and attend your event you should get it published and now you can do this on your mobile phone or tablet or desktop.
The first step will be to join the ‘BAND’ of Brothers in one of several ways.
- You can click this link -> Suffolk District Band and it will go to the site and you register. You can use your phone # or email or even your Facebook, Google+, etc to sign up and that’s it. You’ll be added to the Suffolk Masonic District Band with the link above.
- If your pretty with technology and have your mobile phone handy and it has a QR scanner loaded, scan this code and register and voila your there!
- If none of the above ways will be good for you, you can just email me your mobile phone number and I will text you and invite, just follow the prompts and download the BAND app for iPhone or Android.
There are a few caveats however.
- When signing up for the site, please add your Lodge name and number to your profile as well as an appropriate image so all can known who is posting or added to the site and app.
- Basically the same rules apply to the website and app, remember your obligations and always be mindful that neither are tiled lodges and the same protocol and etiquette you’d use in Lodge to a Brother applies.
- The mobile app allows for private communication with individuals if you so choose.
- set reminders and you can add events to your mobile phone calendar with one click.
- Push notification from the app on new events and posts, so you can stay in the know of whats happening in the district.
- RSVP to events. This is kind of a pet peeve of mine and I know I am not alone on this. If an event is scheduled and open to members or members and friends (public), it used to be traditional that if you receive and invite you respond with either a yes, no or maybe. There are several reasons why you should respond and you should respond to all events with RSVP enabled as if you received a letter in snail mail. Many members and Lodge go out of their way to get an event ready and buy supplies and goods for the event and would really appreciate a head count prior to the event to assure that they have enough or maybe that they have too much. Either way it’s just a nice gesture to acknowledge an RSVP whether in a letter, card or online in a group you belong to (like this BAND or website).
OK so now you have joined in and are going to post an event for your Lodge or concordant body, etc. There are a few things to remember.
- Please include as much detail as possible in the description and make the title of your event unique. So an event title should be like:
- (Lodge name and #) Annual Clam bake 2018
- The description should contain all the details like who, what, when, where, how much, etc.
- If you have a flyer for the event, post that as well, i.e. PDF or images are best.
- Be sure and fill in all the dates for start and start times and if more then one day, end dates and times.
- There is a nifty tool to add a location. I have checked that most of the Lodges in the District have updated their google locators so just search for the Lodge by name and it should give you an address, just click on the address box to add to the event.
- Did you want to have RSVP enabled? Well just click it and you can set a deadline and if guests are allowed.
- Unless there is a good reason, un-check send as post, this just clutters things up.
- There’s a nice sign up feature to ask members to volunteer for specific thing. Create a post and click the “sign up” in the option at the bottom.
- How about taking attendance? Well there’s an option for that as well. Handy for certain invited meetings, with self check in.
- Oh and lastly don’t wait till the last minute to post events. Please post as soon as you can, I suggest at least 2-3 weeks in advance of the event to properly publicize.
So going forward I hope to see events and activity in the Suffolk Masonic District. It is always a pleasure to see Brothers from around the district and one of the greatest parts of being a Freemason is the travel from lodge to Lodge and jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Take advantage of it and attend events that you can.
If you have any questions you can email the .